Merlin created the Magical Eye with resemblance to Balor's ability of seeing through his enemies and gave it to Hawk as a gift to wear as his new tag. Balor's Magical Eye is used by Hawk to give an accurate measurement of a person's overall "power level". This measurement is further divided among the person's magical power, strength and spirit.
A Power Level「闘級 Tōkyū」 is a person's pure fighting prowess presented as a numerical value. A person's total power level is the sum of three different values:
- Magic「魔力 Maryoku」: a measure of magical power.
- Strength「武力 Buryoku」: a measure of physical ability.
- Spirit「気力 Kiryoku」: a measure of composure, determination and perseverance.
It is to be noted however that power levels are nothing more than rough estimates of one's overall capabilities and, at best, should be used for nothing more than reference. Their values can change, mainly based on the situation at hand, compatibility between powers as well as each individual's physical and mental condition and overall skill.
Below is a list of recorded values, given in the order of Magic-Strength-Spirit (Total Power Level), of which most presented distributions are only revealed in the official fanbook.
|Tyrant Dragon Ver.||80||520||30||630|
|Sand Crawler Ver.||80||100||10||190|
|Red Demon Ver.||450||480||100||1,030|
|As of Volume 22 (without demon mark)||2,700||27,700||2,100||32,500|
|As of Volume 22 (with demon mark)||3,000||50,000||3,000||56,000|
|Before Chapter 134 (without demon mark)||400||960||2,010||3,370|
|Before Chapter 134 (with demon mark)||4,400|
|Before Chapter 134 (with demon mark, berserk)||10,300|
|With Critical Over||40,000|
|Escanor||Weakest (so far)||5||5||5||15|
|Strongest (so far)||50,060+|
- It is interesting to note that the symbol on Elizabeth's right eye looks similar to Balor's Magical Eye. Also a similar symbol has been seen on Meliodas' armor (on the belt and the left knee) as a member of the sins 10 years ago.
- Gowther has stated that he is "loaded" with it. What this means is currently unknown.